Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Learning From Mistakes

Years ago I read from somewhere this phrase :

"If you learn from your own mistakes, you are clever... but, if you learn from other people's mistakes, you are intelligent!"

I suppose, intelligent is cleverer than clever.

Just now, I met a colleague. He asked me whether I've been blogging for quite sometime already, to which I answered no. To be frank, I learnt about blogging only last week, under the tutelage of my three gurus : Dr Yusri, Mr Wan Nazif and Madame Farhah.
They taught us only the basics of blogging... the rest, we were supposed to explore and venture on our own. Being an old timer myself, I can understand the insecurities felt by the older generation. I must confess. Even though we didn't mean to, 'old' folks like me are not so 'open' and tend to tread cautiously when it comes to using new sophisticated gadgets and new technologies. It's human nature, I guess. The older you are, the more sceptical you become and you possess lesser ability to adapt to new changes.
He he he.... I once read that Tun Dr Siti Hasmah (Tun Dr Mahathir's wife) herself felt odd and reluctant when the hand phone was first introduced to her. Her children had to cajole her into learning how to use the new technology because if not it would be a problem for her when it comes to answering her children's short messaging services (sms).
My advice is ; just give it a go. You learn from your own mistakes as you go along the way. If you were to repeat them... ahaa... just laugh at yourself and sing like Britney Spears: "Oooops! I did it again....". For example, I've just discovered that once we've typed whatever material we have in mind, it's best that we save it first. Preview it many times as we please and, until we're really sure that basically there is zero unintentional error, then only click the publish button. If not, hmm... there might be a problem in adjusting the paragraphs. The worst part is, even though you take extra precautions to adhere to whatever I've mentioned above, the problem still persists.
So far, I still can't solve this problem.... any suggestions?

No comments: